Thursday, March 12, 2009

Senior Year, Sep 1946-May 1947


I attended PC under the GI Bill this year.  All costs were paid by the US Government. My memory fails me on much of this year; after a three-year absence I didn't feel like a student. I reached home on May 1st,  visited the PC campus sometime that month, and found one of my old room mates, Dave Humphreys, already in school. For some reason I remember him in the infirmary, formerly Alumni Hall. At any rate, I registered for the following term. At some point I petitioned the faculty to accept some of the hours I had earned on active duty in the Army. They approved my request, and that meant I could be a Senior and eligible to graduate the next May. I also requested a change in my major from Physics to English, and that was approved. I felt mentally tired and not up to doing the work required for an advanced degree in Physics. I expect I made a mistake in doing this, but at the time it seemed best. When I matriculated in September I was assigned to one of the suites on the first floor of Spencer, with Dave as a suite mate. During this year I was heavy on English courses that required much reading. I remember in particular two big books on American literature and world literature in courses taught by Professor John W. Harris and a book on English restoration drama taught by Associate Professor Edward F. Nolan. I particularly enjoyed Professor James S. Gray's class on the history of art. I was taking second-year Spanish under Professor R. K. Timmons when the professor teaching first-year Spanish died. For some reason they thought I could handle his job in class, so Prof. Timmons asked me to teach first-year Spanish under his supervision.  I would be paid $3.50 for each class, a fairly large amount at the time. I think I did well enough with the class for the next few months.  Some of the class members were veterans who had started as Freshmen with me in 1941.  My younger brother, James ,  joined me in Spencer for the second semester. He had gone to Mars Hill the first semester and didn't get along there very well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment